Believed to have commenced in 1855 although earlier deaths are recorded on some headstones. This may have resulted when remains were removed from the Sandhurst Burial ground when it was forced to close. Deaths were recorded in the Kangaroo Flat area as early as 1853 but the actual place of interment has never been verified. A small timber chapel has been preserved at this site.
The Kangaroo Flat Remembrance Park was established in the mid 1850’s. William Pittaway was credited with laying out the Monumental Sections in the strict denominational form that is still reflected today. The Kangaroo Flat Remembrance Park is divided into seven monumental sections. One Roman Catholic, one Methodist, one Presbyterian and four Church of England. These sections are laid out in a cloverleaf design and unlike some cemeteries, plots were not numbered prior to burials taking place. An interment number was allocated at the time each grave was used.
Following the passing of a Government Act in 1854, the Sandhurst Burial Ground was forced to close as the Act stated that ‘a burial ground must be at least 1 mile from a town.’ Notices were issued in local newspapers informing relatives of the Councils intention to remove the remains and reinter them at other cemeteries.
The slate memorial erected in memory of the infant children of Hames and Mary Luxton is one of the earliest monuments erected in this remembrance park. Elizabeth Ann Luxton died in 1854 and was originally buried at the Sandhurst Burial ground.
The Kangaroo Flat Remembrance Park is approximately 4 hectares in area and estimates place its life in terms of available new graves at approximately 15-20 years if the current rate of usage is maintained. The majority of its workload is in lawn graves.
The Lawn area at the Kangaroo Flat Remembrance Park differs from those at other local Remembrance Parks, in the way that memorial plaques are installed, plaques and headstones are mounted vertically.