The Government gazette dated 9th December 1863 stated ‘A site for a cemetery at Eaglehawk has been reserved by Order of the Government on 28th September.' The area reserved was 5 acres fronting Reserve Street.
The first recorded burial at the Eaglehawk Remembrance Park is that of 21 year old John Edmond McDonough. He was interred in Grave 1 Section C on 6th July 1864. Today there is still a monument standing that was created in his memory.
There have been 6 Sextons live in the Sextons Residence formerly located near the front gates of the old monumental section. The cottage was built in the 1870’s and was demolished in the 1970’s.
At approximately 12.14 hectares (30 acres) the Eaglehawk Remembrance Park is slightly smaller than the other two main cemeteries although in common with White Hills, Eaglehawk has sufficient space available to meet demand for earth burials for many years to come.
A Heritage Overlay applies to the historical monumental area of this cemetery.